Tuesday, January 25, 2011

these are a few of my favorite things.

Most people in my generation grew up watching Disney movies.  I was fortunate to be raised in a different way [no sarcasm].  While I've watched a lot of Disney movies, I've never seen Beauty and the Beast, Anastasia, Hunchback, and some of the "popular" Disney movies.  The movies I typically watched as a child were : The Swiss Family Robinson, The King and I, and The Sound of Music.  Those were my favorite movies as a child.  I bet most of you haven't even seen them!  I LOVED these three movies and watched them a lot with my family.


Over the Christmas break I decided that I wanted to watched The Swiss Family Robinson and The Sound of Music, because I hadn't seen them since I was in Elementary School.  While watching these movies, I actually understood what was going on!!  I told this to my mom and she just laughed.  Isn't it funny how sometimes we are so used to doing/or seeing certain things and we don't even think about the meaning of them?  When I watched The Sound of Music when I was younger, I didn't really understand exactly what was going on; I just watched it because Julie Andrews is a phenomenal actress and I love the singing.  Now as I watch it, I completely understand the entire story!!  It's a magical thing!!


Now, how am I going to compare this to weight loss?  I found out in 12th grade that I had an intolerance to gluten [also know as wheat] and dairy and I shouldn't eat them it could harm my body.  I didn't listen to this because my favorite foods included hamburgers, pizza, quesadillas, ice cream, and basically anything who copious amounts of cheese.  Tangent, I really like the word copious.  I never realized the potential harm it could have on my body until my mom told me that if i have Celiacs, eating gluten could, and will, harm my body.  Celiacs, as I understand it, is an intolerance to gluten to the extent that if you eat it, it will harm your body.  So basically, eating gluten/wheat/flour could potentially give me cancer.  I haven't been tested for Celiacs, but I do know that I have an intolerance.  If you eat gluten on a daily basis, don't freak out and stop eating flour.  Only some people are blessed [yes, blessed] with this issue.  By eating gluten, I was satisfying my cravings and not really "thinking about the meaning of [it]" [look up to the middle of paragraph two.]  Now that I understand the harm that wheat and gluten can have on my body, I can go about changing my diet so that I don't harm my body even more than i have in the past.  By cutting gluten and dairy completely out of my diet, I'm taking steps towards a healthier future.  By losing 57 pounds, I'm taking steps towards a healthier future.  By cutting calories, I'm taking steps towards a healthier future.


I hope that analogy made sense.


The title of this blog post is from The Sound of Music.  These are a few of my [random] favorite things.


romantic comedy
-- The Ugly Truth.  Yes, it's rated R but it's my favorite.  Not ashamed.
type of weather
-- Sunshine.  Beach weather.  Not Rexburg Idaho weather.
halloween costume you've worn
-- Teletubby costume.  Hands down.
breakfast cereal
-- Oh's.  Buttt, since I have been blessed with being intolerant to gluten, I can't eat them anymore.  So, my favorite cereal is the all wonderful & gluten-free friendly Peanut Butter Bumpers.
book from childhood
-- hmmm, I loved reading.  Favorite book [series] would be Captain Underpants.  Favorite actual non-chapter book would be Oh the Places You'll Go.
political figure
-- Tina Fey as Sarah Palin.
pie
-- Carmel Apple Pie with crumblie on top.  Costco pies are the best in the west.
day of the year
-- Probably my mom's birthday because I get to go above and beyond the requirements of my daily daughter duties.
genre of music
-- Anything with a killer piano [i.e. Ben Folds & Ben Folds Five].
national park
-- Not national, but Malibu Creek State Park.
foreign accent
-- Any accent is a good accent, unless you're speaking a foreign language that I don't know and can't understand.
winter olympic sport
-- The Luge.
poet
-- Oscar Wilde.
magazine/periodical
-- Cosmopolitan.  They have great fashion.
old article of clothing
-- My blue vans.  I refuse to get a new pair.
sports hero
-- Florence Griffith Joyner.  Look her up.
flower
-- A yellow & red Gerber Daisy.
mixed drink
-- I'm all about the Lava Flow [virgin, that is]
movie musical
-- Hairspray!!
vegetable
-- Sauteed spinach.
screen kiss
-- The Notebook.  Classic.
place to buy clothes
-- Anthro.  Urban.  Free People.  JCrew.  Nordies.
curse word or phrase to say
-- any of them are good if used appropriately.
unnecessary gadget of yours
-- I think all my gadgets are unnecessary.
musical 'genius'
-- Ben Folds.
schoolyard game as a child
-- Tetherball; when I didn't get hit in the nose.
music to get your grove on
-- Ke$ha.
thing about your family
-- My dog.
way to travel
-- If it's longer than 6 hours by car, I prefer to fly.
candy bar
-- mmmmm Snickers.  Recess.  100 Grand.
thing about your work
-- The kids I babysit, during the Summer, are so darn cute.
restaurant you frequently visit
-- Back home, ZPizza.  They know my order by heart.
cafe
-- Coffee Bean.  That's not a cafe though...
subject/class from high school
-- Math. Math. Math. and English with Betsy & Creative Writing with Carol.
horror movie
-- I HATE horror movies.  I don't have a favorite one because they all scare the poop out of me.
photo of yourself [describe]
-- Well there's this one picture where I'm smiling...
sport to play
-- I used to be pretty bomb at Tennis.
musical instrument
-- Piano, please.
band to see live
-- I've only seen so many bands live.  Wolfmother was fantastic.
video game
-- Mario Party.





1 comment:

  1. I'm dying that you put Tina Fay as your #1 political figure.

    ReplyDelete