Thursday, November 24, 2011

i'm glad i'm not a turkey.

happy thanksgiving, hooray hooray hooray! aren't you glad you're not a turkey on this thanksgiving day?


that was a song i used to sing in kindergarden, when all i had to worry about were naps, what i was going to color next, and if i would get a good seat on the alphabet carpet in my class.  


today is thanksgiving.  a day for thanks.  but i think it's a semi silly holiday, because we should give thanks every single day we're alive.


today i am thankful for many things.  i'm thankful for :
my health.  i'm grateful i'm not a turkey on this thanksgiving day.
the crazy family i was born into.  they have been through the good and the bad, the thick and the thin, and the fat and the skinny.  they are my cheerleaders - my number one support system - and i don't know where i would be without them. 
my best friends who love me for me and don't care that i'm loud, semi-obnoxious, and awkward.  they pretend to love my gluten free brownies just to make me feel good about myself.  while they make fun of pretty much everything i do, in a joking manner, of course, they would punch anyone who ever made fun of me.  they stick up for me.  they laugh at my jokes, even though they've heard them more than 20 times.  they make me feel so much better about myself, and they are a constant reminder that everyone has angels looking out for them.
my tourette's.  a few days ago in my religion class up at school we were talking about trials and challenges.  our professor brought up the fact that a lot of people actually thank God for the challenges they have been "blessed" with.  while he was saying this, i kept thinking in my head "yes, yes, yes"  it's so freaking true.  i thank God every day for my tourette's.  i am the way i am because of my tourette's.  i am optimistic because of my tourette's.  i am empathetic because of my tourette's.  and i am a sailor mouth [partially] because of my tourette's.  
my education.  i love learning.  i have been blessed to go to a university that i love.  i am blessed to know what i want to do with my life, and i am thankful that i've found something that i absolutely love to do.  i am thankful for my brain  that always craves to learn new things.
life.  some people don't realize how precious life is.  i heard a quote once that said, "love the people God gave you, for someday he'll want them back"  ever since i heard that quote, i try to tell everyone i love them as often as i can.  sometimes i tell people i'm thankful for them and their friendship.  i was talking with my roommate a few nights ago about why we are the way we are.  i was telling her that since i never really had friends until i was in 11th grade, i always thank people for being my friend because i've never had this many friends.  i'm thankful for my friends.  each and every one of them.
change.  i'm thankful for the gift of change.  if you don't like the way something is working out, chances are you have a say in changing it -- i'm grateful for that.  i'm grateful that there IS such a thing as change.  what would life be like if once you made a decision there was absolutely no way you could go back?  change is what makes life interesting.


today is thanksgiving and i am thankful for everything that i have been blessed with.


josh groban is thankful too.


xoxo ALi

No comments:

Post a Comment