Wednesday, April 6, 2011

my last lecture.

For my book of mormon class I had to write a paper based on "the last lecture".  I decided to share it with you.  [If you're not a latter day saint, disregard the scriptural references.]

Hi, I'm Ali Mahterian and this is my last lecture.  After reading Alma 30 - Moroni 10, I have gained further insight about the many doctrines, wisdoms, and principles found in this sacred book of scripture.  One concept that had an extremely large impact on me was Ether 6, which emphasized how trials make one stronger.  There are times when you will be "buried in the depths of the sea" [6:6] and you will think you won't be able to go any further; You will feel worn out, defeated, and will want to give up.  I have chosen to share my personal insights about trials, with some verses from Ether 6 to back me up.  Why have I chosen to talk about trials?  Because I am an example of how a firm believer copes with the daily challenges of being different from everyone.

When it comes to trials, it does no good to ask "why me?".  Just embrace the fact that everyone has a little something extra that makes them unique.  Ether chapter 6 verses 2 - 12 symbolically explain our journey through mortality, with our journey being compared to vessels.  Verse 5 says "and it came to pass that the Lord God caused that there should be a furious wind blown upon the face of the waters".  To me, this verse symbolizes trials and tribulations.  God gives us trials because he knows we are strong enough to overcome them.  When we reach the celestial kingdom, as noted in verse 12, we will "shed tears of joy before the Lord" because he had faith in us and knew that we could overcome anything he gave us.

I relate my Tourette Syndrome to everything, as most everyone knows.  I know that my Tourette's is just one trial in my life that I will have to overcome, and as soon as I have overcome it, I will be given another.  Why is this?  Because the Lord knows that I can overcome whatever obstacle I am faced with.  I like to think of my Tourette's as something the Lord gave me because he knew I could handle it.  He didn't give it to me because I was wicked or unworthy in the pre-existence, but because he knew that I, Ali Mahterian, was strong enough to overcome the challenges that Tourette's brings.

Because of this blessing, and I truly believe my Tourette's is a blessing, I have learned to have a positive outlook on life; why be sad when you could be happy?  Everyone is faced with trials, but I believe that it's the way people cope with them, and ultimately overcome them, that sets them apart from others.  One of my oldest friends from Elementary School just got done battling Lymphoma for the second time.  A family in my ward back home lost not one, but two of their children.  My grandpa got diagnosed with Parkinson's not too long ago.  And I testify that their attitudes are what has gotten them to where they are today.  My friends cancer hasn't appeared since December.  The family who lost two of their children continues to raise their eight healthy children.  And my grandpa has got medication to control his Parkinson's and shaking.

Life is something to be grateful for, not to curse.  People who say "why me" obviously don't realize the bigger picture.  My trial includes my Tourette's, my ADHD, my OCD, my anxiety, my depression, and a bunch of other little "isms" that constitute the package of Ali.  I am the person I am today -- the amazing, tourette's inflicted, sailor mouth, obsessive, fashionista, extremely talkative, 19 year old girl known as Ali Mahterian -- because of the trials that I have been blessed with and will continue to be blessed with until the day that I die.

No comments:

Post a Comment